May 21

As I type I am in my quaint bedroom in Montpellier after a pleasant train ride from Paris. Quaint may not be the exact word I would use, possibly primitive or on the fringe. Just as like I am on the fringe of Montpellier. When I decided to be a part of this trip I knew it would be challenging and I knew I would need to be my toughest self, however, I feel as though I am incredibly trapped. The neighborhood I am in is not regarded as safe so you have to take the bus then metro everywhere. Additionally I have kicked the poor son out of his room and he is sleeping on the couch. I absolutely do not want to be difficult but I am living here and the time to be proactive is now. The French aspect is another hurdle to jump as the mother and son do not speak much English and as my French is majorly lacking. I am not a sit still kind of person but at the same I would hate to have to switch because these are the people that absolutely need the help and where I just feel like an utterly spoiled b****. My host mother is an absolute sweetheart which further complicates the situation or at least seems like a sweetheart from our mere handgestures and google translated phrases (thank you google for offline translations). Overall I think I must take control of my situation and determine my 6 weeks because in the end when you order a crepe and you get an oreo (equally as sweet but just not as warm and delicious) this is when you need to turn to the waiter and ask to send it back. 

Comments

  1. Hey Kenz! You've been a world traveler since you were 5 so not surprised to see you across the ponds & up the mountain for the summer--eager to follow you round! Touched that you may do some work with refugees?? Love from Sonoma! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June 18

Switzerland to Germany to France to Germany

Safari